Hiking to Baken
- Type of hike : Go back, Loop
- Visibility of the route : Non-existent
- Start/Finish : Next to the small power station of Kvitforsen, along Route 888 connecting Vestpollen to Strumnes, 1.5 km (0.9 mi.) after the Jordneset crossroads, you'll find a place to park in the left bend of the road facing the electric power plant. Be careful not to obstruct traffic or the access to the power plant.
- GPS Point : Starting point (parking lot): N68° 19.601' E14° 39.070'
Summit: N68° 20.368' E14° 37.547'
Stone hut: N68° 20.772' E14° 39.032'
- Note : Careful! Some of the lakes have structures to retain water (dams or underwater catchment areas). It is dangerous to bathe in these lakes, especially near hidden catchment structures
This hike is a real adventure that has lots of surprises for you! After a grueling start through rich vegetation on extremely steep slopes, you reach a peaceful valley with a succession of lakes and pastures, where half-wild sheep graze in season. The fine path you’ll find in the upper part of the valley was once used to construct a series of little dams and underground catchment areas that feed the electric power plant down below. Finally, despite the name Baken (which usually means a rounded hill in Norwegian), the summit is a real peak that gives you a striking view over this little-known part of the Lofotens.
More information about this hike...
You can read the detailed description of this hike (as well as 59 other hike descriptions), enjoy hundreds of photos, maps and practical information on the paper guidebook Hiking the LOFOTEN ISLANDS.