From Nesland to Nusfjord
- Type of hike : Go back or crossing
- Visibility of the route : Good
- Start/Finish : We advise starting from Nesland (NB the road is closed in winter). Heading south towards Reine on the E10, approximately 2 km after Ramberg take the 803 on the left after the bend to Skjelfjord. After the village of Kjelfjord the road becomes a beaten-earth track. Continue to the end of the track as far as Nesland.
- GPS Point : Start/finish (Nesland/Nusfjord) :
Nesland: N68° 00.433' E13° 17.926'
Nusfjord: N68° 02.036' E13° 20.891'
- Note : Avoid this hike if the ground is icy or still covered of snow.
This hike is usually undertaken as a return trip. You can start either in the village of Nusfjord or the smaller village of Nesland. We recommend you start in Nesland because you get charged to go into Nusfjord when you come by road but entry is free when you arrive via the footpath ;-)
The hike is fairly easy and is one of the few in the islands that has real waymarkers! This is a magnificent coastal path linking two small seaside villages. If you keep your eyes open and are lucky you may see seals in one of the many little creeks. In summer you can even swim in the clear deep water.
The village of Nusfjord, which is a UNESCO world heritage site, is very pretty although rather too touristy for our taste. You can hike here in pairs or as a family.